Friday, August 12, 2011

Noise

My husband is one of the most positive persons I know. He wakes up happy. He's smiling and laughing before he even gets out of the shower.
He has learned though if he wants happiness to spread, not to talk to me first thing in the morning. I can't deal with noise, talking or anything for the first 30 minutes or so after I wake up. If my glasses are not on my face, I'm officially not awake.
I was never really a morning person. I'm usually grumpy when I wake up. I have tried to focus on thoughts like, "Heavenly Father created this day, so I will have a great day."
That lasts about five minutes if I'm lucky. Then I'm grumpy again because I will notice the pile of clothes that need to be folded or put away, or the dog is yapping because she wants to go for a walk, or I'm really trying to sleep in and the mourning doves are hooting or cooing or whatever they do outside my window.
But my husband. He's up and happy and he can't even sleep in! I mean, for rude! Even on a rare Saturday when he doesn't have a church assignment or a family event, he is up by 6 a.m. ready to see what adventure or havoc he can create for the day. Usually havoc.
He thinks mowing the lawn at 6 a.m. is a perfect time because it's cooler. Ok, but it's noisy! Or he'll start a project that includes a saw, weed wacker, pruning shears, or tractor.
I could get mad. I have. But it's useless. It's like telling the sun not to come up. He doesn't get it.
He figures half of the day has gone by by 8 a.m. and he's missed something.
Of course, by 1 p.m. or 2 p.m. on Saturday, he's ready for a nap. He then likes to have quiet.
I'm not a nap person most of the time. By afternoon, I'm ready to vaccum,sew, talk on the phone, watch a movie or do the wash. All noisy ventures.
Maybe it's my way of getting even.... Ummmm. I wonder? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment