Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Procrastination

Procrastination or in my definitions: working on a deadline or even a looming deadline or a tight deadline.
I live for deadlines. Deadline is a funny word. Editors will kill me if I don't meet the deadline, hence deadline. While working on projects at home to meet deadlines, like Christmas, birthdays, vacations or serving Sunday dinner to 21 people, my husband and children usually have wanted to kill me as I stress toward the deadline.
I know with some projects, including work, I can organize myself so I'm not stressing out as the deadline approaches. But I can't help myself. I'll wait and wait until there is hardly any time and then dive in, taking everyone around me into deadline mania.
You see I'm proscrastinating now. I should be writing a story. But I don't want to. That happens when I've either churned several stories out already. Monday I wrote three. Tuesday two. Today one and two more to go before 7 p.m. The other one, I could get done in less than an hour if I just buckle down. It's for the weekend. Interviews done. Research done. But hey...
It's like when I get home tonight, I will be on deadline writing a story for Thursday's paper. I will also be on deadline for this weekend's family activity. I just have to keep breathing. I have this list in my head. I could put it in ink, but then I get overwhelmed and I find a book.
It's like Maxine, my favorite comic strip character said today on my desk calendar, "Never put off till tomorrow what you can just ignore indefinitely."

No comments:

Post a Comment